Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tropical Storm Experience

On Sept. 30, 2010 I woke up knowing the weather was bad. Rain was pouring, and I have a bad leaks on my back porch with several buckets ready to catch the rain. Oh, and I can not forget my storage shed that is sitting out in the rain that should have been built and finished long time ago. Luckily, my septic tank trouble was taking care of last month of Aug.
Watching the news that morning, I was waiting and looking to see if my job was going to close. There was no sign of the company's name written across the television screen. Yet, streets were flooding, but things did not look so bad at home in my area. Usually, I get phone calls from my father to tell me how bad the roads are. He is up and going to work before it is time for me to get up. These days he doesn't answer his phone and there is always an excuse. Oh well, I thought I would be brave enough to go out and test the roads. On my way to work, I saw a church underwater and a car lot under water taking over cars. Still, I kept on going because the water had not yet flooded the street. Rain was pouring down so bad, that I had to turn my windshield wipers on full speed to see. When I got to my job, I thought about the high water signs that warned me along the way. I saw some other jobs near my job about to flood near water. I also thought about road blocks and how I had to fight in the weather to get home.
When I went into the building, I waited for my supervisor to come in after clocking in to work. I showed up at work, but I felt the need to leave in order to be safe at home. When my supervisor came in, she told me to do what I had to do. I did not care about the time that would be taken away from me. Yet, we were told that it wouldn't be counted against us to stay at home because of bad weather conditions. The company had no intentions of shutting the plant down. I never understand companies trying so hard to make a buck when there are airport delays and so forth. Sometimes I wish that the law would just demand that people stay off of the road in flooding conditions. That way, jobs along with schools could just automatically close. Well, anyway, I turned around to go back home to be safe. I thank God that I made it and writing you this article right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ledface Blog

pixelsworld @Wikinut